"For consider your calling, brethren, that there were not many wise according to the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble; but God has chosen the foolish things of the world to shame the wise, and God has chosen the weak things of the world to shame the things which are strong, and the base things of the world and the despised God has chosen, the things that are not, so that He may nullify the things that are, so that no man may boast before God." (1 Corinthians 1:26-29)

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Not-so-Subtle Reminders

Why does it always feel like this missionary has more to learn at church than everyone else?

When I went to church yesterday (finally back at West Shore), I was feeling a little bitter and hurt. Our extended family is going through a really tough time right now...things are not good. Our situation is uncertain, even scary, and the future is unclear as things seem to continue to worsen.

Then as worship started, the songs were all about God's faithfulness. I must admit, at that moment, I was in no mood to sing about God's faithfulness. I was struggling, and my thoughts were more like "God, I'm just having a tough time singing about your faithfulness right now."

And then I looked up into the choir, singing beautifully before God and the congregation...really into it. And I started realizing something. There was a guy who had lost his job...and God had provided. There was someone who had been through a devastating divorce. There was Jan, the daughter of someone in our SIM family, in her wheelchair and wearing a surgical mask, struggling daily with cancer. And I looked around me in the auditorium. There aren't many of us here who have had it easy, are there? Sometimes it seems our enemy saves his toughest attacks for the believers, doesn't he?

I was convicted. If they could sing about God's faithfulness, well dang-nabbit, so could I. Feel it or not, I would sing along with them, and I would wait longer to see His faithfulness, knowing we might have to wait a while.

Thanks for singing with me, friends.

1 comment:

  1. Praise God! Life isn't always easy, and we can't always see God. Sometimes the darkness threatens to suffocate us, and we wonder where God is. That's where faith and trust come in. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete