"For consider your calling, brethren, that there were not many wise according to the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble; but God has chosen the foolish things of the world to shame the wise, and God has chosen the weak things of the world to shame the things which are strong, and the base things of the world and the despised God has chosen, the things that are not, so that He may nullify the things that are, so that no man may boast before God." (1 Corinthians 1:26-29)

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Mother-Son Bonding Time

It was a mercifully slow day today.  None of us got much sleep lats night because Joel fussed and cried and generally kept us up most of the night.  Not sure if he's getting sick or just too hot.  Hopefully tonight won't be a repeat.

Anywho, on days when we just need something low-key and easy for dinner, we often have scrambled eggs and french fries.  Today was one of those days, and we also let the boys watch a movie while they ate.  They chose to watch Veggie Tales' Jonah, which, of course, we've seen several times before, so 2/3 of the way through the movie (after I was done eating), I thought I should find something to help me stay awake to the end of the show. I decided to paint my toe nails.  I had no idea this would lead to some great quality mother-son bonding time!

Yes, as you guessed, Joel first noticed that mommy was painting her nails "like Auntie Liz does" and was curious about it.  Next thing you know, he was begging to have his toes painted.  Oh-oh.  What's the protocol for a mother telling her three-year-old son it's not "manly" to do something?  Obviously, reasoning with him that this is something only for girls didn't work.  So, I finally did what any good mother would do in this situation...I deferred him to daddy.  "Go get daddy's permission," I said.  Well, apparently daddy can't stand up to the cute begging, either.  "Only one toe," he says.

By now, I'm sure you can see where this is going.  We had a regular toe-painting party this evening (fortunately for Dale, he escaped, though).  When Caleb realized what was going on, I had already put all the supplies away and thought him "safe"...until he threatened to paint his toe nails with a black marker.  Well, I reasoned, burgundy toe nail polish is better than black marker, right?  So when Dale realized what had been going on (he was in the other room the whole time and refuses to be held responsible), I had a ready excuse.:)





It's just silliness, but I thought it was fun silliness worth sharing.

1 comment:

  1. We had a client come in to the vet hospital a couple months ago with his beautiful female gray pit bull. She was the sweetest dog ever, and was wearing a pastel pink collar (which looks great with gray fur, by the way!). The guy looked like a biker type, long hair in a ponytail, beard, baggy cargo shorts - overall a very manly character. He also had hot pink toe nails. Who says it's not manly??!! :)

    ReplyDelete